ABSTINENCE means choosing not to have sex.
- Many people choose not to have sex at different times in their lives.
- If you do not have sex, pregnancy can’t happen.
- Not having sex can PREVENT AIDS and other STD’S
People who choose not to have sex like it because:
- It fits their needs and beliefs.
- It causes no health problems.
- It can be used at any time
Here are problems you might have:
- The man’s penis must not be put in or near the woman’s vagina
- You or your partner could get pregnant if you change your mind and have sex without using a birth control method
- Each year, almost 1 million teenage women become pregnant.
- 78% of teen pregnancies are unplanned.
- Teen pregnancy rates are much higher in the United States than in many developed countries-twice as high as in England, Wales or Canada; and nine times as high as in the Netherlands or Japan.
- 63% of teens have sex under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- In the County of Riverside about 10 teenagers become pregnant every day.
How does ABSTINENCE compare with the effectiveness of other forms of birth control?
Women out of 100 that got pregnant using the methods below: